Lemon water has been a part of my morning ritual for almost a decade now. There are an undeniable amount of health benefits that come from consuming the juice of lemons, including:
- Fighting Inflammation
- Flushing/Cleansing Kidneys and Liver
- Clearing Skin
- Replenishing Electrolytes
- Aiding a Healthy Immune System (Vitamin C)
- Aiding Collagen Formation (Vitamin C)
And the cancer-fighting properties within lemons have been studied/recorded for quite some time also.
However, what many don’t realize, is that the peel of a lemon actually holds an even larger array of health benefits! (It’s also been noted that the peel has more abilities to detox the body than the juice alone.)
I know what you’re thinking though, “uhhhmm, but how am I supposed to eat a LEMON PEEL?!?” (or any type of peel for that matter). Well, I’m here to share my little trick with you!
What I do is:
- Wash the (organic) lemons thoroughly – not with a chemical soap, but rather a clean produce wash (like this one from Trader Joe’s), plain organic vinegar, or this GFS Extract I love.
- Slice/dice, any which way really, this is just to aid in the blending step… (keep ALL parts of the fruit).
- Place in a high-powered blender with just a splash of filtered water.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour in to ice cube trays.
*NOTE: Make sure to use organic lemons, otherwise it really defeats the purpose. Plus, the taste from the chemicals stored within the peel of non-organics will not be delightful.
I use these cubes in water, smoothies, and even my bone broth!