Here we are again, yet another spontaneous recipe that I whipped up on the spot… these bad boys turned out pretty darn tasty despite some doubt while preparing. Also, the kitchen smelled of pizza aromas while they were baking, sooo there’s that too, lol. My intentions were just a tomato-basil flavor, but when my husband took his first bite and exclaimed, “THEY TASTE LIKE PIZZA!” I couldn’t escape it; I guess that they have a sort of chicken wing-pizza hybrid thing going on, but hey – don’t knock it until you try it!
- 20 Chicken Wings (bones-in + w/skin-on)
- 3 Large Tomatoes
- 1.5 oz. of Fresh Basil (about 30 leaves)
- 1 block of Fresh Feta Cheese (about 1.5 cups)
- Garlic Powder
- 3/4 cup Cassava Flour
- 3/4 cup Arrowroot Powder/Starch
- 2 tbsp. Beekeepers Naturals Raw Honey (use code “ALOHA” to save $ on your order)
- Preheat oven to 385 degrees.
- Place patted-dry thawed chicken wings in to a ziplock bag, add 2 tbsp. of Beekeepers Naturals Raw Honey (use code “ALOHA” to save $ on your order) to the bag, zipper close and massage lightly to mix honey and coat all wings evenly. Set aside.
- Remove centers of tomatoes, slice in to quarters, place in a mixing bowl. Use a pestle to separate the seeds/juice – separate/remove the skin and hard flesh part (will not use that in this recipe).
- Chop fresh basil and add to the fresh tomato juice in mixing bowl.
- Crumble fresh feta cheese in to that same mixing bowl and use pestle to mash and mix all three ingredients together.
- Whisk in 3/4 cup of arrowroot powder and then 3/4 cup of cassava flour to the tomato-basil-feta mixture.
- Sprinkle in Salt, Pepper, and Garlic Powder to preference/taste. Whisk the batter until evenly mixed/combined and reaches the texture similar to chunky cake batter.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- One-by-one, coat each (honey-coated) chicken wing evenly with the batter and place on top of parchment paper (make sure that there are no super thick spots of batter on chicken so that it cooks evenly, but also don’t miss a spot – lol).
- Place in to oven to bake at 385 degrees for about 30 minutes (all ovens will vary, so keep an eye on them).
- Once cooked evenly, let cool for a few minutes, garnish with fresh ingredients or enjoy immediately!
PRINTABLE (right click to download):
Make sure to tag me & use #balancedlifealoha if you re-make, so that I can see!